Dr John Valliattu is one of the world’s leading Paediatric Cardiothoracic Surgeons. He trained in Cardiothoracic Surgery at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Birmingham and has over 40 years of experience dealing with complex cardiac problems in adults and children.
His areas of expertise include Congenital Heart Surgery, Minimally Invasive Surgery, and 'Lean' Surgery (world class surgery at the minimum expense). He was a senior consultant in cardiac surgery in Kuwait and headed the Cardiac surgery department in Oman. He has been a visiting consultant surgeon at the Madras Medical Mission Heart Institute in Chennai
Awards and Achievements
- Trained with pioneers in cardiac surgery like Leon Abrams, Donald Ross, Alain Carpentier, Delos M. Cosgrove, Gordon Danielson, Francisco Puga, Carlos Duran, Hugo Matthews.
- Performed more than 14000 surgeries
- Ministry of Health, Oman award for outstanding service to Cardiac surgery
- Membership of the European Association of Cardiothoracic Surgeons
- Arterial switch operation- Troponin T does not predict ventilation requirements
- Novel technique for off-pump Bidirectional Glenn
- Myocardial protection during neonatal cardiac surgery
- Dynamic LVOT obstruction following Aortic Valve Replacement
- Differences in right and left ventricular function following ischemic arrest and cardioplegia
- Selection of monitoring site and outcome after coarctation repair
- Left upper limb shortening following subclavian flap coarctation repair
- Early recovery of ventricular function following repair of ALCAPA and mitral valve repair