Facts about the heart
- Your heart has two sides- left & right. The right side pumps blood into your lungs, while the left side pumps it back into your body.
- Heart cancer is very rare because heart cells stop dividing early in life.
- Every cell in your body gets blood from your heart, except for your corneas.
- The number of heart attacks peaks on Christmas Day, followed by December 26th and New Year’s.
- Maximum number of heart attacks happen on a Monday than any other day of the week.
Believers Church medical College hospital being the best in patient care services has an experienced team of doctors who are well-trained and highly skilled to perform complex medical-surgical procedures. Let us look at some of the basic questions we are asked about Cardiology.
What is Cardiology?
Cardiology or heart medicine is the diagnosis and treatment of diseases of the heart, including blood vessels, cardiac muscle, and specialized tissues of the heart itself such as coronary arteries and valvular heart disease.
What are the diseases of the heart?
There are many types of heart diseases, each differing from the other based on causative factor, symptom history & treatment modalities.
- Coronary artery disease (CAD) which affects the flow of blood to the heart is seen due blockage of the arteries supplying blood to the heart. It usually presents with chest pain &/breathlessness.
- Heart rhythm problems also known as Arrhythmia
- Valvular problems
- Cerebrovascular disease- affecting the blood flow to the brain
- Congenital problems or birth defects
- Heart failure when the heart is unable to pump/relax sufficiently
- Pericardial disease which affects the covering of your heart
- Hypertensive heart disease which causes high blood pressure, damaging the blood vessels
- Rheumatic heart disease- a life threatening condition which damages the valves of the heart.
What are the risk factors involved associated with heart disease?
All cardiovascular diseases have similar risk factors, including
- Poor diet
- Sedentary lifestyle
- Unhealthy diet
- Physical inactivity
- Tobacco use
- High levels of bad cholesterol or LDL with low levels of good cholesterol or HDL
- Use of alcohol are some of the most important behavioural risk factors for heart disease.
- More specifically, there are many factors that put you at higher risk of having heart disease or worse heart attacks if you already have it. These factors include family history, age, high blood pressure and high cholesterol levels. Having one or more of these factors can place you at an increased risk of heart failure, heart block or other cardiovascular diseases.
If you want to learn more about how to prevent heart failure, talk with the best Cardiologist in Kerala from Believers Church Medical College Hospital, Thiruvalla.
Which is the most common heart disease?
The most common type of heart disease is the Coronary artery disease (CAD). A person having high levels of bad cholesterol can cause a plaque to build-up in the arteries which supply blood to the heart. Over time this plaque can completely block one or more arteries, compromising the blood flow to the heart. In such a condition, the muscles of the heart receive less oxygen & other essential nutrients. Consequently, the muscle of the heart becomes weak leading to heart failure.
You must have noticed that your blood pressure is represented by two numbers- upper & lower. The upper one is the systolic & the lower one is diastolic. Similarly there are two main types of heart failure: systolic and diastolic.
Systolic refers to how forcefully your heart squeezes the blood out into your body through the arteries; while Diastolic is the resting pressure in arteries when the heart rests in between the beats.
If you or your relative has the following symptoms, it may refer to a heart failure-
- Shortness of breath even at rest. You may also experience breathlessness while climbing stairs or a sudden breathlessness while you’re asleep.
- Swelling in the feet, ankles, legs
- Feeling weak & tired
- You may also feel that your heart is racing very fast, a symptom known as palpitations.
- You may also experience restlessness & anxiety
- Loss of appetite
- Some patients may also have fluid build-up in their lungs if their condition worsens further.
If you or your loved one has been diagnosed with a heart problem, you'll know how stressful it can be to find a good Cardiology centre in Kerala.
Believers Church Medical College Hospital is one of the best Cardiology centre in Central Travancore, Kerala. Our hospital is equipped with state- of-the art technology with an efficient team of the best Cardiologists in Kerala. Believers Church Medical College Hospital offers excellent facilities and the best patient care services. We have a team of the finest & proficient Cardiologists. Schedule a doctor appointment at the earliest if you have any of these symptoms!
MUST KNOW FACT- While many people have heart problems, not everyone requires an open-heart surgery. So always make sure that your doctor knows what he's doing. As they say- experience offers an education no school can teach. Similarly Cardiologists at BCMCH have plenty of experience in the field of Cardiology with well organised patient care & quality services.
Why choose Cardiology centre of Believers Church Medical College Hospital?
- Believers Church Medical College Hospital is an International Healthcare provider and secures the best heart failure clinic in Kerala
- We are known for world-class clinical services. We can proudly say that because we have international patients coming from our neighbouring country- Pakistan in search of best paediatric cardiac surgeon! Follow this link for more details- https://www.newindianexpress.com/cities/kochi/2018/aug/31/pakistan-family-tracks- down-malayali-doctor-for-third-surgery-1865271.html
- Our proficient team of doctors in Cardiac surgery have received awards for outstanding
- We have world class leaders who are members of the European Association of Cardiothoracic Surgeons.
- The Hospital's mission of providing affordable and accessible healthcare, setting quality standards in service provision, continuous training & research and humanitarian aid has earned a reputation for excellence in medical treatment.
- Our doctors are highly qualified to serve their patients with excellence in treating patients with heart diseases.
What are the benefits of choosing Believers Church Hospital as your Cardiology centre?
- Believers Church Medical College Hospital is one of the most trusted and recognized heart hospitals in India.
- With many years of experience, we have treated more than 10,000 heart patients.
- Our doctors are world-renowned and have many years of experience.
- You can trust us, because we provide you with all possible treatments that will help you get rid of your heart problems. We have facilities for open-heart surgery as well as minor surgeries including Angioplasty & Carotid Endarterectomy.
- Believers Church Hospital has a team of experienced Cardiologists who will guide you through every step and ensure that you're getting proper treatment.
- The hospital also provides cardiac treatments such as angioplasty, bypass surgery, stent implantation etc., which will help you recover faster after your procedure.
- Our cardiology department has the state-of-the-art equipment to provide effective diagnosis and treatment for you.
- We aim to provide the patients with a high standard of care so they can lead healthy lives.
- Our aim is to provide heart treatments at affordable prices for all our patients so they will get treatment without worrying about their finances.
So, get treatment from Believers Church Medical College Hospital. Our Cardiology team is available 24/7, so you don't have to wait long hours.
We believe that good health is an essential part of human life that should not be compromised at any cost.