An 89-year-old patient with persistent hiccoughs was admitted to our hospital yesterday. He was a patient in the hospital for some time. His son came to the cafeteria to have his morning snack when he suddenly collapsed. At the same time, the House Surgeons from the Neonatology Department with the Junior Resident came to have breakfast in the cafeteria. They suddenly intervened upon noticing the collapsed patient. The House Surgeons couldn't find a pulse. Code Blue was initiated.
He was shifted immediately to Emergency Medicine, where he was shocked (high-voltage is applied to the heart to restart it) and revived. Apparently, the patient had Ventricular Fibrillation (heart rhythm disorder). This timely intervention by the House Surgeons and the Emergency Medicine team saved the patient. The patient is now in the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) and is now doing fine.