Senior Consultant and Head, Paediatric Cardiology and Adult Congenital Heart services
Among the most experienced Paediatric cardiologists in India, Dr. R.Suresh Kumar is an internationally acclaimed figure.
HIGHLIGHTS OF CAREER
- Post graduate teacher in cardiology in Medical Colleges of Kerala. 1983 – 1991
- Consultant at the first comprehensive paediatric cardiac service in UAE at the Mafraq Hospital, along with surgical legends Prof. A. G. Brom, Prof. Tim Cartmill and Prof. I. M. Rao. 1991 – 2004
- Head of Paediatric Cardiology at The Madras Medical Mission, Chennai and Frontier Lifeline, Chennai. 2004 – 2014.
- Senior Consultant at the National Heart Centre,Royal Hospital,Muscat,2014-2017
- International scholar in Paediatric cardiology, Cleveland Clinic, Ohio, USA. 1998
- Author/ Reviewer/ Examiner/ Researcher.(See Publications)
- Course Director for interventional paediatric cardiology at Advanced Cardiovascular Therapeutics, The Madras Medical Mission, Chennai. 2006 – 2012 .
- Presented papers / Invited faculty at numerous international conferences around the world.
- Guest Lecture at Cardiology Grand Rounds,UCSF,San Francisco ,USA, April 2016.
- E-teacher for paediatric cardiology residents worldwide
- Piloted the humanitarian drive “Hridayapoorvam Sakhyam”, a joint initiative of The Madras Medical Mission and Malayala Manorama, in which 400 indigent children with heart disease were operated free of cost.
- Humanitarian mission with the Frontier Lifeline team to Erbil, Iraq in November 2013 andMay 2014.
PUBLICATIONS OF Dr. Raghavan Nair Suresh Kumar
Chapters in Textbooks
1. RV Outflow tract obstructions
Suresh Kumar R, A Comprehensive Approach to Congenital Heart Diseases, Ed. Vijayalekshmi I. B., Chugh R., Rao P. S., Jaypee Brothers, New Delhi, 2013
2. Tetralogy of Fallot
Suresh Kumar R., Vijayalekshmi I. B., Bhushan Chavan, A Comprehensive Approach to Congenital Heart Diseases, Ed. Vijayalekshmi I. B., Chugh R., Rao P. S., Jaypee Brothers, New Delhi, 2013
3. Catheter Interventions for Pulmonary Arteries
Suresh Kumar R., Saileela P., Cardiac Catheterization and imaging.
Ed. Vijayalekshmi I. B., Jaypee BrothersPublishers, New Delhi, 2015.
4. Transposition of Great Arteries
Suresh Kumar R., Navaneetha Sasikumar, Postgraduate Textbook of
Pediatrics, Ed. , Piyush Gupta, Jaypee Brothers,New Delhi,2015.
5. Medical Management of Cyanotic Congenital Heart Disease in Adults
Suresh Kumar R., Sreeja Pavithran, CSI 2009 Update Book, Ed. V. Behl, Cardiological Society of India, New Delhi, 2009
6. Persistent Pulmonary Hypertension in the newborn
Suresh Kumar R., Navaneetha Sasikumar, CSI 2013 Update Book
Ed. K. Venugopal, Cardiological Society of India, New Delhi, 2013
Original Articles, Reviews and case reports
Pilli VSS, Anuradha D, Manoj N, Nagesh N, Aradhyam,G,Suresh Kumar R Indian J Paediatrics, 83(7) ,746-47,2016.
2. Adolescents and Adults with Congenital Heart Diseases in Oman
Al-Balushi A, Al-Kindi H, Al-Shuaili H, Salim Al Maskari,Suresh Kumar,R, Oman Med J . 30(1):26-30, 20153. Prosthetic Reconstruction of Bicuspid pulmonary valve in TOF.
Sasikumar N, Ramanan S, Krishna Manohar SR, Subramanyan R, Cherian KM. Suresh Kumar R, Asian Cardiovascular and Thoracic Annals 22(4) p436-444, 2014
4. Absent pulmonary Valve syndrome coexisting with coarctation of Aorta in an Adult.
Kotecha.M.K. Krishnamanohar S.R, Suresh Kumar R Congenital Heart Disease; 8:E37-E19. 20135. Pulmonary artery banding for univentricular heart beyond the neonatal period.
Sasikumar N, Krishna Manohar SR, Saji Philip, Suresh Kumar R, Cherian KM. Asian Cardiovascular and Thoracic Annals November 20, 2013, doi:10.1177/0218492313503640
6. Right ventricular Exclusion and univentricular palliation for failed one and a half ventricle repair for Ebstein’s anomaly.
Sasikumar N, Krishna Manohar SR, Suresh Kumar R, Subramanyan R, Cherian KM. Heart Lung and Circulation.Heart Lung and Circulation,22(8) ,2012.doi.org/10.1016/j.hlc.2012.11.0197. Surgical outcome of congenital heart disease in Down syndrome
Praveen S. Lal, Bhushan Chavan., Vimala Rani Devendran, Roy Varghese, Uday Charan Murmu, Suresh Kumar R, Asian cardiovascular and thorac annals, 21(2)166-169,2013.
8. Visceral heterotaxy in developing world
Changlani, D.K, Kotecha M, Changlani T, Varghese R, Suresh Kumar R. Heart, Lung and Circulation 21,598,2012.
9. Hybrid Trans-apical Device Closure Left Ventricular Pseudoaneurysm. Under Trans-esophageal Echocardiographic Guidance.
Subban.V, Kurien V.M., Ajit M.S. and Suresh Kumar R. Heart, Lung and Circulation, 21,531, 2012.
10. Occult systemic lupus erythematosus with active lupus nephritis presenting as Libman-Sacks endocarditis.
Kasar P.A, Mathew M, Abraham G, Kumar R.S... Ann Pediatric Card 2012; 5:85-8.
11. Factor VII for excessive bleeding following congenital heart surgery.
Deepak K. Changlani, Vimala Rani Devendran, Uday Charan Murmu, Selva Kumar Ganesan, Roy Varghese, Suresh Kumar R Asian Cardiovasc Thorac Ann 2012,20(2),pp120-125
12. Scimitar syndrome with right hemianomalous pulmonary Venous drainage into superior vena cava / Right atrium junction.
Kotech.M.K, Krishnamanohar S.R, Kumar R.S. Congenit Heart Dis. 2012, 7, pp62-65. doi: 10.1111/j.1747-0803.2011.00513.x
13. Somatic growth following congenital heart surgery in economically underprivileged children.
Kasar A.K, Suresh Kumar R, Raman Kutty V. Heart Asia 2011; 3,135-139.
Kasar P, Ravi Kumar.R, Varghese.R, Kotecha.M, Vimala.J, Suresh Kumar R Asian Cardiovasc Thorac Ann 2011; 19(5)324-332.15. Renal abscess after the Fontan procedure - a case report.
Mehrotra. A, Khanna. P, Suresh Kumar R, Georgi Abraham. J Med Case reports 2011; 5:5016. Leopard Syndrome in an infant with severe hypertrophic cardiomyopathy and PTPN 11 mutation.
Ganigara. M, Prabhu. A, Suresh Kumar R Annals of Paediatr Cardiol 2011; 4:74-6
17. Outcome of complex adult congenital heart surgery in the developing world.
Gnanappa G.K, Ganigara.G, Prabhu A, Varma S.K, Murmu U, Varghese R, Valliath J, Suresh Kumar R. Congenital Heart Disease 2011:6,2-8.
18. Left Aortic Sinus to Right Atrial Fistula – Percutaneous Closure in a Septuagenarian Female.
Subban V, Vimala J, Ajit MS, Wilson N, Suresh Kumar R. Heart, Lung and Circulation. 2011; 20, 241-243
19. Extra cardiac Fontan Operation after Late Bidirectional Glenn Shunt.
Madhusudan Ganigara, Atul Prabhu, Roy Varghese, Sreeja Pavithran, John Valliatu, Suresh Kumar R. Asian Cardiovasc Thorac Ann 2010; 18:253–9
20. Hydrocortisone induced hypertrophic cardiomyopathy.
Vimala J, Atul Prabhu, Sreeja P, Suresh Kumar R. doi:10.1016/j.ijcard.2009.12.012. Int.J.Cardiol2011; 150:e94-e95.
21. Isolation of the Left Subclavian Artery-Origin from the Left Pulmonary Artery by way of Ductus Arteriosus: Multidetector Row Computed Tomographic Angiographic Imaging.
Vimala J, Ravikumar R, Suresh Kumar R. Pediatr Cardiol 30:2009; p549-550.
22. Myocarditis Presenting As Junctional Ectopic Tachycardia.
Sreeja P, Bhagyavathy B, Pandurangi U, Suresh Kumar R. Indian Heart J 2009; 61:288-289.
23. 64-Slice Multidetector-Row Computed Tomographic Angiography for
a. Evaluating Congenital Heart Disease.
Sanjay Khatri, Suraj Kumar Varma, Payal Khatri, Suresh Kumar R. Pediatr Cardiol 2008; 29:755-762.
24. Analysis of explanted ePTFE cardiovascular grafts (modified BT shunt).
Mukesh Doble, Nilesh Makadia, Sreeja Pavithran, Suresh Kumar R. Biomed. Mater. 3(2008) 034118.
25. Transcatheter Closure of Persistent Unligated Vertical Vein after TAPVC Surgery Using the Amplatzer PDA Device.
Nidhi Narula, Neil Wilson, Suresh Kumar R. Catheter Cardiovasc Interv. 2007 Jul 1; 70(1):117-9
26. Right Ventricular Diastolic Function after Repair of Tetralogy Of Fallot.
Manvinder Singh Sachdev, Anpon Bhagyavathy, Roy Varghese, Robert Coelho, Suresh Kumar R. Paediatr Cardiol 2006; 27:250-255.27. Long term results of radiofrequency Ablation of slow path way in patients with AV nodal reentrant tachycardia: Single center experience.
Udyavar A.R., Benjamin S., Ravikumar.M, Latchumanadhas. K, Suresh Kumar R., Mullasari A.S., Pandurangi.U.M. Indian Heart J 2006:58,131-137.
28. A study of congenital cardiac disease in a neonatal population – the validity of echocardiography undertaken by a neonatologist.
Samson G.R, Suresh Kumar R. Cardiol in the young – 2004; 14:585 – 593.
- Repair of Total Anomalous Pulmonary Venous Connection in Early Infancy.
Dharmapuram A.K., Suresh Kumar R, Rao P.N, Mohamed M.H, Chandran S, Dhir A.K, Saxena D.K, Pillay A.S, Pillai V.R, Venkitachalam C.G, Fikree M.A, Nazer Y.A, Cartmill T.B, Rao I.M. Asian Cardiovasc Thorac Ann 2003;11:18-22
30. Anomalous Left Coronary Artery: Modified Direct Aortic Implantation.
Dharmapuram AK, Rao P.N, Suresh Kumar R., Nazer Y.A, Rao I.M. Asian Cardiovasc Thorac Ann 2003; 11:87-89.
- Coarctation of the Aorta in Neonates and Young Infants: Surgical Experience.
Rao PN, Suresh Kumar R., Dharmapuram A.K, Mohamed M.H, Chandran S, Dhir A.K, Saxena D.K, Pillay A.S, Pillai V.R, Venkitachalam CG, Fikree M.A, Nazer Y.A, Cartmill T.B, Rao I.M Asian Cardiovasc Thorac Ann 2002;10:310.
32. The fate of the Unligated Vertical Vein after Surgical correction of TAPVC in early infancy.
Suresh Kumar R., Dharmapuram A.K, Rao I.M, Gopalakrishnan V.C, Pillai V.R, Nazer Y.A and Cartmill T.J Thorac cardiovasc Surg.2001; 122:615-7
33. Mitral Valve Prolapse –A Review
Khatri H.N and Suresh Kumar R, JAPI, 1983; 31:447.